In order for truth to set us free, we are going to be challenged in all ways, spirit, soul, body, and mind. Challenges emerge from people, places, and things, attitudes, and beliefs. The main challenge is linked to our assumptions.” Many of us don’t realize it but we assume God is not in control, and that we need to help Him out with everything. Part of walking in the spirit is to walk by faith knowing that God is ordering our steps. If you’ve had a false conversion and you know it, that was God. God has ordered your steps to know it. The word of God says that God’s people are destroyed for a lack of knowledge. Yet God resists the proud. So receive your grace by your humility.
Pride manifested in Eddie Long’s assumptions in the following ways:
- He did not try the spirits to see if they be of God. He simply assumed that if God had blessed him to be a mega preacher, that God was granting him mercy and grace where HIS SINS WERE CONCERNED BECAUSE HE WAS “SPECIAL.”
- Long assumed that his special status granted him the right to keep his personal life a secret from his congregation, which goes well beyond the borders of New Life, since he was a TV preacher for years, affecting and influencing untold millions within the larger public domain.
- Long assumed that he could be healed by simply declaring it without manifesting sincere repentance through humility.It is important to recognize your particular own face or style of pride because not only does pride go before a fall, but Also because God resists the proud. What this means is that when pride causes you to fall, God won’t lend a hand to pick you up.As many faces as the religious demon has, pride has even more faces. For every human being there is a different style of pride. In fact, pride has a quality about it where it feels like it’s rising. You can actually feel it in your body, almost like temperature rising. It rises. Just as anger will rise and you can feel it mounting up in you, pride can do the same thing.
Here are some styles and faces of pride.
1. pride is outraged when other people think that they are superior to you. black people experience a lot of this. You know, when another race has for centuries felt that it was superior to you and your race. We even had a movement which we called Black Pride. Yes, pride will rise, even on a religious angle. When another religious group thinks that they got all the answers, and that they are superior to you, pride will rise.
2. pride also causes the proud person to defend and justify himself. In other words, a proud person can never be wrong. And a proud person may not even be wrong, but if anybody may think that that person is wrong, then the pride rises. And you get people that just beat a dead horse, they just can’t stop defending themselves. “Well I really thought I should do this, but I really planned to do this, and I said I was gonna do this but I did that,” and they just keep going on and on, defending something that is turning something into a mountain that really is nothing but a molehill.
3. Religious pride will keep people in the institutional church even though God may be suggesting to them it’s time to go. “No, I can’t leave here, because then what will all of my history with this group look like?” Pride is often about appearances, what do other people think about me and what I’ve done and what I’m doing. So pride has this need to justify itself.
4. Pride will also cause us to tear down others. we’ve got to tear down somebody else in order to build ourselves up. Oh my, my And those who are people pleasers, pride is a key element in that particular situation. Because it causes a people pleaser to hunger after the prestige and praise and approval of others, and you see a lot of that in the institutional church. Oh, that stuff used to get Pam so sick. Different ones would get praise over and over and over again. And then there were those, you know the bishops and whatnot, when they entered into the assembly everybody had to stand for them, and could not sit down until they took their hand and said, you know, “Sit down, sit down now.”
5. pride is also very deceptive. Because what it does, it misrepresents our thoughts and feelings in order to put forth a facade. A facade is a face of phoniness, an act, and like we black folk say, a front. You be frontin. Pride will cause you to front. Pride is also easily hurt and injured, because it’s so insecure.
6.Pride will block us from experiencing genuine feelings of love and commitment. In fact, pride will cause us to deny our feelings. This used to be my level of pride. Since I was rejected so much in my life, and especially in the institutional church and in the world, then my front was this: “I don’t care nothing about what y’all say or what y’all think. I’m gonna do what I’m gonna do and I’ll be ready to throw up my middle finger in your face in a NY minute! LOL pride is a cover up.
You know you’re hurting, you know your feelings are hurt, but rather than let somebody know that your feelings are hurt, you front, and you pretend. You know, like we used to do, like black folk used to do when you played the dozens. Some of y’all may be too young for that, but we used to play the dozens, and that’s where we’d all get around in a circle and start putting each other down, and putting their families down, “Your momma is so fat, and this one is so this, and you’re so ugly, and so on,” and go on like that. And what you had to do was show that you weren’t gonna let somebody who was putting you and your family and everything about you down, that they bothered you so you had to front.
And if you ever broke loose and showed how upset you were, how upset you really was, then you lost the dozens, you wasn’t cool, you wasn’t hip, you allowed your emotions to take you over.
To fight pride these days, I will do exactly what Jesus said. I go to the person and say, “Look. Did you mean this, this, that, or that, because quite frankly, you hurt my feelings. And I need to understand what you were doing and why you were doing it. Because, that bothered me.”
7. Pride can also bring you into danger. It will definitely bring you into danger when you allow your pride to build up your anger, or you allow your anger to build up your pride, and the next thing you know, you’re jumping up in somebody’s face wanting to fight. You can’t take an insult, you can’t take a slight, you’re always offended, and the next thing you know, somebody’s gonna shoot you down because they’re afraid of you. You know, your pride has caused you to bring fear in them, and your pride can get you killed y’all. God hates pride. And He resists the proud. So if you want the grace, you’ve gotta learn how to resist the pride, honey.
8. We have got to be honest about our feelings if we are going to fight pride.
Yes. Pride will also cause us to overcompensate and to be overconfident. And I can hear them “I’m blessed” folk with that. “Oh I’m so blessed, I’m blessed, I’m with God, I’m so blessed.” And you know you are lying! You kno your marriage is going down the tubes, your kids are cutting up bad, sinning like God knows what, but IC folk are out there boasting “I’m blessed, and I’m prospering, and I’m this, and I’m tithing, and I’m doing that, blah, blah, blah,” and it’s all a sham.
9. And pride will prevent you from admitting the truth, which is that you need help. So that when people come and extend a helping hand to you, your pride will cause you to turn them down.
What does YOUR face of pride look like?
If you need help to overcome pride, complete the contact form below: